Leave of Absence
A Leave of Absence (LOA) is a temporary interruption in a student’s progress and refers to the specific time during a program when a student is not in attendance. Students may apply for a leave of absence if they intend to be away from the University for a full semester. There is not partial leave of absence.
Students can request a Leave of Absence (LOA) at the International Student Affairs Office (ISAO), via email@example.com.
- LOA request must be submitted in writing and must be signed and dated. The reason for the student request must be included at the time of submission. (can be digitally signed)
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for dates to apply for a LOA.
- Student account must not have any outstanding balances.
- Student must be up to date with their immigration status.
- Student must complete registration documentation with the Registrar’s Office.
- UAG may not charge tuition or any educational expenses during the LOA.
- The LOA must not exceed a total of 180 days in a 12-month period.
- The student will retain “in-school” status while on LOA.
- Students while on a LOA will be eligible for deferment of loans.
- While on a LOA, a student will not be eligible to receive Financial Aid.
- Student cannot have a transfer request to another Institution.
A leave of absence can be submitted 2 months after the beginning of the semester and no later than a week before the semester ends.
If the student fails to return from the leave of absence (LOA) the student will be considered to have withdrawn from UAG as of the first day in which the leave of absence was granted. This may affect the student’s loan repayment terms, including the expiration of the grace period.
If a student while on Leave of Absence decides to remain active in the UAG Health Insurance policy (during those six months), it will be necessary to pay the associated fee and email the payment receipt to the International Students Affairs Office at email@example.com.
If the LOA is approved, the student will receive an official Leave of Absence via their UAG email. Copy of the document will be sent to the Financial Aid Office to report to NSLDS enrollment status and cancel any pending disbursements.